Highland Park United Methodist Church
)HPUMC has close to a 100-year history of worship and outreach. The story of Highland Park United Methodist Church began in the fall of 1915, when students from Southern Methodist University attended the first worship services held in Dallas Hall. The University Church was founded in 1916, and with 225 charter members by the end of the year, the church changed its name to Highland Park Methodist Episcopal Church South. SMU deeded the land for the church, and worshippers began meeting in a temporary structure known as the Little Brown Church. The current sanctuary was built in 1927, and an activities building and the Cox Chapel were added in the early 1950s. December 2002 marked the completion of the 122,000-square-foot Wallace educational building and the remodeling of the existing educational building, while HPUMC’s pristine sanctuary and chapel remained untouched. HPUMC’s sanctuary was recognized as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1995.